- Date and Venue
- Your checklist
- Key information
- Darcs hacking quick start
- Talks and meetings
- Notes for the blog
- Travel plans
As part of the Haskell Hackathon (ZuriHac)
When: 19-21 March 2010
- Google, Zurich - http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/ZuriHac
- Please register with ZuriHac (registrations are closed now)
- Let Eric know if you’d like to make a travel claim [SAVE/SCAN YOUR RECEIPTS!]
- Prepare your laptop for Darcs hacking (see below)
Dates and times
- Pre-sprint meeting Friday 12:00 - Pizzeria Santa Lucia Niederdorf by CB hostel (see map) [Eric will probably be there a good bit earlier]
- Sprint starts at 14:30 at Google (stop: Bahnhof Enge)
You’ll have more fun if you can hit the ground running, so please make sure you can do all of these things:
- darcs get –lazy http://darcs.net
- cabal configure; cabal build
darcs send (your patch should wind up on the tracker)
We’ll meet a little before the sprint to pick out a top-N list of candidates to work through. If we don’t have many new hackers during the sprint
- PATCH SENT gzipped patch bundles in darcs apply: http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1427 - Guillaume
- DONE darcs send -o output http://bugs.darcs.net/issue643 - Guillaume
- versioned darcs transfer-mode http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1167
- support -P for plink SSH_PORT - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1371
- convert should read _darcs/prefs/prefs - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1232
- you cannot unrevert warning on non-interactive UI
- author prompt on non-interactive UI
- _darcs/trash (unobliterate) - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue75
- DONE (WONT-FIX) add a –diff-command flag to whatsnew - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1744 - Stefan & David looking into it
- TAKEN fix minor darcs annotate bug - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1473 - Stefan & David, patch sent
- pass ssh output through on Windows - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue845
- TAKEN darcs show patch filename - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1768 - Steve
- –ask-repos flag http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1772
- prevent amend-recording tags - http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1611 - Guillaume
See Roadmap for what’s planned in Darcs 2.5.
We have to remember to focus on small achievable tasks here and not take on things that are too large.
- fix the O(n) record/etc problem: issue1106 - Petr?
- global cache: issue1624 - Luca (hopefully)
- filecache - Benedikt
- new and improved darcs annotate - issue25 (note this will be an especially nice one for Zurich because Johan Tibell will be there, plus Benedikt working on filecache) - Eric? (at least the easy bits)
- cache cleanup - Reinier?
- Windows installer
- faster darcs get
Our previous experience has been that the sprint has been useful for designing stuff.
- DONE: Ganesh and Benedikt
- DONE: GSoC filechace
- DONE: GSoC florent
- DONE: release process
- DONE: meeting? darcs rebase UI
- DONE: global cache strategy
- DONE - ../DefaultSwitches - lets get some decisions for Darcs 2.5
- DONE - consensus on hardcoded darcs paths? (kill them!)
- NOT NEEDED? hashed storage
- DONE - issue1645 (Petr has been duly nagged)
- talk: Benedikt and Petr on their performance work
- Roadmap bis
- DONE Windows installer status
- We should have darcs optimize –http (eg. snapshots) - Petr
- We should have a nice CGI script that makes darcs get over http fast
- Let’s call filecache something else. Current best candidate: patch index
- Optimism about file-patch-map: maybe no GSoC project needed for that; do CGI instead?
- Ganesh and Petr - future handling of darcs conflicts - conflictor as graph
- Ganesh and Petr - storing files in darcs repos
Petr, Ganesh and Eric - making darcs get faster
- smart cgi script
- (adapt darcs transfer-mode?)
Darcs optimize –http again
- We need people to test Darcs more
- Reinier will do manual alphas on hackage every 4 weeks
- Future work: automatic uploading? Tahoe-style supported/unsupported?
Ganesh explained how darcs rebase worked and we all discussed a sensible user interface for it
Luca, Reinier and Petr discussed the global cache design. Their conclusion was that we should store the bucketed cache and the old-style cache in different directories. Every time you look up a file in the cache:
- If the new-style cache exists:
- If the old-style cache exists:
Create a new bucketed cache, hardlinked to the old-style one
Create a new, empty bucketed cache
David, Stephen, Ganesh and Florent discussed an exciting new patch management program for project maintainers. The DPM project offers a new way of keeping track of incoming patch bundles; their status, dependencies, reviews, etc. It’s a pioneering user of the Darcs API.
We got a darcs apply –match feature out of this TODO: question about conflicts?
Florent, Ganesh and Eric discussed darcs diff -i, particularly the question of what to do with patches that have been cherry-picked out of the diff. Should they appear in the diff context (ie. go before) or not? The current thinking is to include them so that users always see the diff in the latest possible context.
Salvatore put together a nice Windows installer using the bamse package. The only thing it can’t do is set the PATH for the user automatically. This will open the door to nicer integration with Windows tools, for example, using Tortoise SSH to avoid issue845
Initial guesses on what we’ll be working on
- Florent Becker
- Guillaume Hoffmann - probably-easy issues (1744, 1427)
- Eric Kow - show history UI, running around like a headless chicken
- Reinier Lamers - UTF-8?
- Ganesh Sittampalam - rebase
- Petr Rockai - issue1106
- Salvatore Insalaco (Sat, Sun) - Windows
- Luca Molteni (Sat, Sun) - global cache
- Benedikt Schmidt - filecache
- Radoslav Dorcik - trackdown bisect (over the IRC only)
- Benedikt Huber - Darcs record Mac GUI
- David Markvica - Darcs record Mac GUI
- Steven Keuchel - issue1768
- Eric Kow arrives at the airport 09:35 on the 19th; leaves at 21:55 on the 21st
- Ganesh Sittampalam arrives at the airport 12:40 on the 19th; leaves at 20:25 on the 21st (Swiss from LCY and back to LHR) (might try to get on the earlier flight arriving 11:20 if I get to airport in time and Swiss let me)
- Petr Rockai arrives at Zurich HBF at 9:17 on the 19th and leaves at 19:44 on the 21st
- Guillaume Hoffmann arrives at Zurich HBF at 10:26 on the 19th and leaves at 17:02 on the 21st
- Florent Becker arrives at HBF at 11:00 on the 19th and leaves at 17:34 on the 21st.
Who’s interested in sharing a hostel room? Eric has booked 5 beds at the City Backpacker (6 person room). The hostel have been advised that we may be a larger group than that, likely to use up the whole room. The beds go for 35 CHF per night + 3 CHF for sheets. For two nights, that would work out to 80 CHF, or roughly 50 EUR.
One more bed available in the room!
- Guillaume Hoffmann
- Eric Kow
- Ganesh Sittampalam
- Reinier Lamers
- Florent Becker