Things that we would like darcs 3 to do differently from current darcs (“getting it right the first time around”).
But on the other hand, beware THE SECOND-SYSTEM EFFECT…
- Word-based (word-by-word instead of line-based) diff issue2315
- UTF-8 metadata
- Unicode filenames? issue1863
- conflict marking
- robustness wrt unsupported filenames (internal representation of file id?)
- patch format and bundle format
- support for merging unrelated repositories?
- better preferences system (maybe be done earlier)
- symlink support? issue820
- using a .darcsrepo directory instead of _darcs issue129
- sha1 hashing everywhere (patches, repos, repos state)
- handling of various patch types: “usual” patches, bug patches (a la bugs everywhere), etc. ( issue1786 )
- binary diffs issue1233
a packed+hashed format for repositories (issue1535)
improved handling of filenames: AddAddConflicts [HARD]
- patch format that properly supports the distinction between tag and non-tag patches
- fix commute with respect to null-hunks (Hunk line  )
improve support for token-replace patches (doc refers to some limitations due to the current patch format), maybe it does not worth it ?